Monday, September 8, 2008

What Matters Most

Have you ever asked yourself the question, "What do I value the most?" You see, when you experience changes to your life on any level, you encounter questions like the one above. In the past year, I have experienced some major changes in my life from a new focus of ministry,a new church family, an empty nest at home, to a changing of seasons ( I like to call this a change in thinking). Journeying through this has caused me to take notice of what matters most. I have often asked myself this question, sometimes without being able to answer it, and sometimes I can. I can honestly say that what I value today is radically different from what I have valued 5 years ago. In our society, even in the church, we place such emphasis on possessions and blessings, forgetting about "what matters most." Having had several opportunities to minister on overseas mission trips, where I have encountered many who have nothing, yet have everything.

I read a quote that really got me thinking, "Don't accumulate possessions; accumulate experiences." Mark Batterson (Lead Pastor of National Community Church, Washington D.C.) blogged this on the Ethiopian outback late one night in his pup tent.You see, what matters most is the relationships we cultivate with each other, the trips we take to together, the time we spend together. These pursuits far outweigh any purchase or possession we could ever desire. Even though I'm in unchartered territory, yet I am thankful and looking forward toward the future, and for when my children come home for Thanksgiving!

No comments: